Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hats

Okay, I'm probably saying exactly the same thing that every other royal wedding-obsessed American girl is saying, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Why don't Americans wear hats?  And, whatever the reason, let's forget it.  Can we please start?

I feel like my life is not complete because I haven't had the opportunity to put one of these beautiful creations on my head.  In fact, ever since I got up at 4 am to watch the wedding, I have become slightly obsessed with hats and have spent countless hours looking at websites that sell hats.  Nothing I have found comes anywhere close to the beautiful creations I saw on heads at the wedding.  I love the colors and the style and the drama it adds and I am so, so jealous of all the high class British women who wear them.  The only hats I have had occasion to try on have been super tacky, most likely found on the heads of fifty or sixty-something church going women.  Since I meet neither of those two categories, I have not seriously had the opportunity to wear one.

Sometimes I think I may venture to Kentucky just so that I can have an occasion to wear a hat.  But wouldn't I just look silly?  I'm not sure.

Still, I've compiled a couple pictures of various British women (with an emphasis, of course, on the Middletons because, let's face it, I am cliche and I just love them) just for funsies.  I hope one day I get to wear something similar.

Here's Momma Middleton...  She's soo pretty!



Okay, I have to admit, I'm not sure if I like this hat or not.  But still.  I can't imagine designing that and being like, "I know where I'll wear it!"  To me, that looks totally random.  Not to mention uncomfortable.  Does she feel like it's going to fall off when she turns her head?  It looks like it might.  Still, she's a princess, and I'm not, so what she says is fashion probably goes.


I wish Kate would teach me her ways.  I love these feathers.  How did she know she could wear this?  I can't imagine wearing that anywhere in the United States without getting a lot of weird looks.  So jealous!

Once again, I'm not sure if I like this.  But this is art!  I mean, I don't ever think of millinery shops--except, of course, when I watch Hello, Dolly! but there is some serious artistry that goes into hat-making.  It's kind of a lost art, too, because people just don't wear hats anymore--unless, of course, you're British and royal, or at least an aspiring-royal.  What a shame.


I love the pillbox hat and birdcage veil look.  Also love the jacket.  So adorable and form fitting and perfect.  Yup, still jealous.


I love Pippa, too.  And what a cool little hat! 

One day, I will wear a hat like that.  Even though I know it's not really appropriate for every day, I will make a point to do it at least once--maybe for my wedding!  (Which, by the way, for those of you who--like me--are waiting with baited breath for an update on my marital situation, may be sooner than I was starting to think.)

It is a lifetime goal to wear a hat like that and not look ridiculous.  If they can do it, I can do it.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment