Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Groupon, How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways

Okay, maybe it's silly.  But I'm a bargain shopper.  And lately all of these websites that you can sign up for to get daily deals make me super excited.  In fact, in the mornings I wake up like a kid at Christmas almost every single day--and run to my computer (okay, not RUN, because I prefer not to run unless someone is chasing me with something very sharp) to check out what the deals are today.  Usually, I don't buy them--because I don't have $150 to pay for teeth whitening right now, no matter how good of a deal it is--but sometimes, like today, I do.

So one of the deals wasn't groupon, but "GetMyPerks.com" doesn't fit quite as neatly into my title, so please excuse me for my little misrepresentation.  Today a deal came in for a one hour massage and a manicure for $47.  I wasn't going to buy it because I am poor (it is the end of the semester, after all) and I haven't started to work yet.  But my sister called this morning and asked if she could buy it for me for a graduation present.  Very touched, I said yes.  FYI: I accept presents at all times and for all occasions, however trivial.

So she bought one, too, and we planned a weekend for her to come down from NOVA where she lives (only temporarily while she's in school, we're definitely not NOVA people by nature).  I have to admit, I'm super excited.  The salon is in Virginia Beach, so it'll be a little day trip for us.  Massages, manicures, lunch on the boardwalk and a walk on the beach, and then back home for some afternoon wine tasting with our mom (we pretty much do that every Saturday) and our Saturday night family dinner.  It'll be a wonderful day and I totally can't wait.

I also found a Groupon (yes, actually a Groupon) for two tickets to see our local AAA baseball team, the Norfolk Tides, for $9!  Regularly they're $9 each plus a bunch of convenience charges.  And what says summer like a baseball game, a beer and a hot dog with your boyfriend? 

I try not to use these coupon sites to buy anything that I wasn't already planning on buying because then it's not really a good deal, its something extra that they convinced me to spend my money on.  But these were two things I planned to do, and I'm really excited about it.  You know, sometimes I think half the fun in doing anything is the anticipation and the planning.

Can't wait for all these fun things!  It's SO nice to not be in law school! 

No comments:

Post a Comment